Thursday 5 December 2013

The right to health crucial to HIV advocacy

Michael Kirby and Anand Grover.
On the final day of the 11th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific, the importance of human rights in the HIV response was highlighted in a session hosted by the Asia Pacific Council on AIDS Service Organisations (APCASO).

The Honorable Michael Kirby opened the session arguing the need for improved human rights protections for all vulnerable groups, including prisoners, migrants and refugees, which he drew from the 2012 Global Commission on HIV and the Law Report.

Mr Kirby noted that there is a lack of harmony between intellectual property law and human rights, and access to best available care. Intellectual property law was developed well before the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights and has not been appropriately updated.

This is particularly important as Intellectual Property Law shapes how medicine are developed and manufactured, and therefore is crucial to the realisation of the right to health. In recognition of this important issue, the UN Secretary General has now convened a high level panel of experts to examine and provide guidance to address this issue, as recommended by the Global Commission on HIV and the Law Report.

Michael Kirby opens the session.
Anand Grover, UN Special Rapporteur on the right to health, led a discussion on patent laws, following on from Mr Kirby’s remarks. He noted the differences between final product patent and process patent, how the particular patent type determines whether there is monopoly or competition in the manufacture of drugs, ultimately influences their pricing.

He argued that civil society and community groups need to be supported to understand these particularities of Intellectual Property Law in order to mobilise for advocacy. Mr Grover used the example of advocacy by key affected populations in India against Free Trade Agreements which threaten access to HIV treatments through increasing prices of drugs, which ultimately influenced the Indian government’s position for improved access to generic HIV treatments. At the end of the day, governments are obligated to provide and ensure the right of its citizens to the best possible health care.

APCASO Executive Director Moi Lee Liow commented, ‘Increasingly, in the Post 2015 environment, the right to health will be critical for advocacy to governments to ensure access to HIV treatment and services for key affected populations’. 

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnose december 20,2012 and find out I'm hiv positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still not believe that there is cure.for HIV/AIDS it can be cured through Africans root and herbs,and
    there our doctor's here in american few knew about the african herbs can cure Hiv they hide it from us just to make a sale of ARV.I did a research online finding way to get rid of my desease,I found a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr Itua I contact him on whatsapp chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can help me cure my desease, he request for items fees which i send to him. within 3days he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service.And told me how to drink the medicine for 2weeks to get cured,I did for two weeks then he ask me to go for medical check up I horried to Kansas Medical Center nearby and I was Negative.The doctor Kalender Rich Jessica ask me what wrong ? how did i get rid of it I told her. imagine doctor Kalender Rich Jessica persuading me not let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure.Don't be left behind if you are reading this contact Dr Itua on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or whapsapp +2348149277967..He Can also cure the following desease..Herpes Virus...Hiv/Aids...Hepati C...Diabetis...

    ReplyDelete